Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday Blues - Tri Bean Chili

Since revamping my lifestyle, I have become a picky eater. I can't cook with butter anymore, fast food makes me sick, and my body actually craves things that I used to hate. However, taste is still my biggest issue! So, Mondays are new recipe days!

Today, Tri Bean Chili! I originally stumbled upon it at BodyBuilding.com and have since made modifications of my own. While it does take longer, the taste is phenomenal. This batch makes a weeks worth of food for three people.
Tri Bean Chili when it's done! Now that's tasting the rainbow.

  • 2 lbs. extra lean ground turkey(I get 93% lean turkey when I can. Ground chicken is also good)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 each of red, orange, yellow, and green bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. garlic powder
  • 4 - 4 oz. cans of Rotel (I use the cans with habenero peppers) (Do Not Drain)
  • 3 or 4 - 15 oz. cans Organic Tri-Bean Blend (drained)
  • 1 tbsp. organic sugar
  • 1 tbsp. chili powder
  • 2 tbsp. white vinegar
  • 3 tbsp. regular yellow mustard (I use Dijion Mustard)
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. dried or fresh cilantro
  • Optional - 2 sweet banana peppers, chopped
  • Optional - 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
  • Optional - Sprouts (I used "Spicy Sprouts", but bean sprouts are good too)
In a big skillet, brown the turkey on medium heat. This shouldn't take very long, since turkey cooks faster than ground beef. Drain any fat and put the meat in a big pot. Take the skillet again and add onions and bell peppers with some olive oil and sautee until onions are soft or when the bell peppers are soft yet juicy/crunchy.

Meanwhile, add the Rotel (Do Not Drain), Tribeans (these ARE drained), and spices (and the banana peppers and jalapenos if you are using them) to the big pot, except the cilantro and sprouts. The pot should be on medium/sort of low heat (notch 5 on my 10 notch stove). The pot should be getting hot right around the time the onions and peppers are done. When they are done, throw everything into the big pot, stir, and serve hot.


If you like tea, try some Sun Tea with it. Put some water (hot or cold, doesn't matter) and tea bags into a glass jar, put outside, and bring in when the water turns dark. Especially good when living in the South/is Summertime. I personally don't think it needs sugar, but sweeten to taste.
Chili and tea, an awesome and surprisingly filling dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment